Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Bias trimmed bib

I decided to have a go at applying bias binding and chose this small project for my first attempt. The pattern calls for iron-on vinyl which sounded interesting, but they don’t sell it at Spotlight (OMG there’s something they don’t sell at Spotlight!) and I wasn’t intrigued enough to try and source it online so I did without. The pattern itself is very easy to follow although I needed to use the more detailed instructions from Jane Bolsover’s book to learn to apply bias binding. It was sooo tricky! I did make the mistake of buying a pre-cut bias binding that was slightly too narrow which made for much harder sewing, and the edges came loose in a couple of places because my stitches didn’t all catch the fabric between the bias. I think a wider bias strip and perhaps a less curvy project would have been better for a first attempt at this skill! I had to unpick and redo a little which was incredibly tricky, as was the part where the ends of the bias strip join. Fortunately I’d heeded the pattern instructions to start and finish around the neck piece, so the flaws are less noticeable when worn. In hindsight I think a Velcro circle or a press stud instead of a Velcro strip piece would look a little nicer.  This was a difficult little project for me but I learned a lot!

Pattern: Oliver + S Little Things to Sew, Liesl Gibson, 2011, p71

No comments:

Post a Comment