Sew....

Sunday, July 31, 2011

My first quilt!

Finished at last! It's very far from perfect but I'm so pleased with it and it will keep my little one snug and warm for the rest of these winter nights. I've learned so much. Not least that my machine didn't come with a walking or quilting foot - I didn't realise this crucial fact until I was about to finish it this afternoon, which was rather unfortunate...doh! I made do with the regular foot though as I wasn't planning anything elaborate, just a few straight lines, and it's worked out ok (if you don't look to closely!).

I also learned that it is unwise to try and fix my machine by taking it apart when I should be asleep in bed. There were some sweary words not befitting a respectable sewing mama! Plus, I would probably not have had to take it apart in an emergency situation had I not left the dust cover off for days at a time. Lesson learned!

And finally, I've learned that something lovely can be made out of leftovers - I didn't buy any new fabric for my learner quilt. I was inspired by a quotation that I saw in a small town sewing shop in New England whose name I don't recall:

If life hands you scraps, make quilts!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! That's a lovely quilt and I can't believe you did it all from scraps. What a great effort. You should be really proud of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's lovely Pam.

    You'll treasure that. I remember my first quilt like it was yesterday. These days my daughter is right into making them also.

    How did your little one fair with the quilt through the cold winter nights? Did it do the trick? It's always a little more heartwarming to see your own handywork being used to care for someone you love.

    Regards
    Betty
    http://www.alacraft.com.au/

    ReplyDelete